Reflections on the Gospels from a Justice Perspective written for St. Andrew's Episcopal Church by members of the congregation

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

John 20:19-31 - Being “Out There”

 John 20:19-31  -   Being “Out There”

I have always liked Thomas.  Unlike the other disciples who locked themselves in a room in fear, Thomas was “out there” somewhere.  Thomas reminds me that, if I truly want to touch Jesus, to know that God is real and alive and at work, the best place for me to be is “out there” – showing up and sitting with the disenfranchised in my community,  touching the pain I find, doing what I can do to participate in works of reconciliation and healing. When I try to sequester myself and my children away from the world's pain, I am hiding in that room in fear right along with the other disciples.


How do I participate in Jesus’ work of reconciliation and healing?  What can one person do? I don't know. I can choose to leave the locked rooms and gated communities that are my perceptions, my judgments, and my fears about people who are different from me.  I can choose to see them – actually see them rather than pretend they do not exist -  as people rather than as issues or problems. I can choose to take a deep breath, and begin to “show up” in those places in my community where the marginalized and disenfranchised live (or attend school) simply to get to know them, to build a relationship.  I can choose to love and respect “the other” as good creations of God.  I can choose to listen to their stories.  I can choose to practice deep, respectful listening, and let any actions I take emerge from my authentic listening rather than my perception of what they need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment