Reflections on the Gospels from a Justice Perspective written for St. Andrew's Episcopal Church by members of the congregation

Monday, September 16, 2013

Luke 14:25-33

(Gospel for Sept. 8)

This gospel lesson is painful to read because it confronts me with the half-heartedness of my efforts at discipleship. It forces me to recognize how far I am from making the kind of total commitment that Jesus is demanding. I still use family responsibilities as an excuse for my cowardice. I have not given up my possessions, either. In fact, I am so attached to my own comfort and sense of security that I have not even tried to follow Jesus very far.

However good my intentions, I tend to chicken out when faced with the hard and risky work of discipleship. When I'm concerned about hunger or homelessness, I usually just write a check. It would take more time to volunteer at a pantry or shelter, and what else might I feel obligated to do if I actually got to know some folks who live in poverty? When I read about injustices in the prison system, I sometimes get indignant enough to post something on Facebook or discuss the problem with like-minded people, but there my action stops. What might happen if I were brave enough to try becoming an advocate for prison reform, or visiting prisoners, or helping an ex-offender find housing or a job?

Could Jesus' words in this gospel be calling me to take the kind of risk I've been avoiding? Could he be calling you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment