Reflections on the Gospels from a Justice Perspective written for St. Andrew's Episcopal Church by members of the congregation

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Luke 17: 5-10

6 October  Luke 17:5-10  --  Standing for Justice

I went to see the movie “The Butler” a month ago.  I could identify with the son, Lewis Gaines, as he actively worked for justice by sitting at lunch counters, riding Freedom buses and getting thrown in jail multiple times.
 As I watched the father, Cecil Gaines (the Butler) live his life of invisible service, I began to see a strong connection between faith as mustard seed and the writing about the slave in Luke’s Gospel.  I began to think about the huge leap of faith it requires to serve with no thought of recognition or reward.  How can I work for basic human rights expecting to have no impact that I'll ever see? How can I serve the poor and marginalized with no expectation of being recognized or thanked for my service?  How can I dismiss any thoughts about whether those I am serving are deserving of my service or behaving with appropriate gratitude?  How do I simply see “the other” as real human beings who will reveal God to me?

Maybe justice is about both being Lewis Gaines who expresses and acts in righteous indignation against injustice, AND being Cecil Gaines who found honor and esteem as he served freely without thought of reward, simply “doing what ought to be done.”

No comments:

Post a Comment